* The Jones party arrived in their private jet and their first day (30 Apr) on Finest Kind and Intensity were pretty much a bust. The Mecca party on Rum Line had a similar fishing day. The weather kicked up and the seas got nasty. Rain started on Friday intermittently thru the weekend.
Tho the sky was clear enough to see the volcanoes clearly looking back from the horizon, the anglers did fairly well. The Jones boys fishing the Finest Kind 9-7-4 and a 275 blue and Intensity crew found them 25-22-19 releases.
* Mecca’s party on Rum Line 13-7-4 and 2 blue bites
* Mr. Armstrong from Park Valley ski slopes decided he needed a few extra days of practice (11-12) on the Release 16-8-5 and 1 blue bite.
* Now, we have Marlin U visiting with 16 anglers (including Mr. Armstrong) and 5 staff (12-16). First day on the water – Release 6-4-3 and 1 blue bite; Finest Kind 3-1-1; Intensity again finds the fish 14-14-9 and Rum Line 6-4-0 and 1 blue bite.
Seems Intensity is proving to be the hot boat this month! Congrats to Capt. Mike Sheeder and his crew!
* Marlin U report (12-17 May) with instructors Dave Ferrell, Peter Wright, William Holcomb, Pat Dineen and Barbara Lehner. Anglers: Michael Kress, Orazio Nastase, Iain & Campbell Nicolson (from Africa), Alan Seidel, Don Armstrong, Jay Jacobson, Ray Lorenzo, Marvin Steiding, Antonio Oliva, Jarmo Pohjaniemi, Gary Cole, Dave Moore, Tiffany Griffin, Leigh Johnson and John Tobias
Finest Kind – Capt. Ron Hamlin
Day 1: 11-10-8
Day 2: 6-5-4
Day 3: 5-4-3
Day 4: 0
Release – Capt. Nico Melendrez
Day 1: 6-4-3, 1 blue raised, 1 bite
Day 2: 8-8-6
Day 3: 4-4-1, 1 blue raised, 1 bite
Day 4: 2-1-1, 1 blue raised, 1 bite
Totals: 20-17-11, 3 blues raised, 3 bites
Intensity – Capt. Mike Sheeder
Day 1: 14-14-9
Day 2: 15-10-4
Day 3: 6-5-2
Day 4: 4-3-1, 1 blue raised
Totals: 39-32-16, 1 blue raised
Rum Line – Capt. Chris Sheeder
Day 1: 6-4-0, 2 blues raised, 1 bite
Day 2: 1-0-0, 1 blue raised
Day 3: 2-2-2, 2 blues raised, 1 bite
Day 4: 2-2-0
Totals: 11-8-2, 5 blues raised, 2 bites
Grand Totals: 92 raised, 76 bites, 44 sails released and 9 blues raised, 5 bites
“From the 13th to the 16th of May, I had the pleasure of fishing Marlin University. My instructor for the 4 days was Peter Wright, who I go back a long way with. Fishing was very slow as the water has been very hot around 89 degrees everyday. Peter did a great job ot teaching the people 10 men and 2 Ladies how to free spool and hook a billfish. As you’ll see by our ratio of bites to caught fish. He is a very knowledgeable instructor as are all of the other people involved with teaching. We raised 22 sails in the 4 days had, 19 of which bit and caught 15 we tagged a good portion of these. I’m looking forward to fishing this very professionally done operation again next year.
Capt. Ron Hamlin
* Merson and Adler party winners of the Big 105.9 food drive auction, fishing on Rum Line – Capt. Chris Sheeder
19 May: 2-2-2
20 May: 4-3-2, 1 blue raised
Total: 6 raised, 5 bites, 4 sails released and 1 blue raised
* Hoyt-Brandt party fishing on Release – Capt. Nico Melendrez
18 May: 1-1-1
19 May: 9-8-5
20 May: 2-2-0
Totals: 12 raised, 11 bites, and 6 sails raised