The 2017 No Sancocho Sailfish Shootout was held November 16-18th at Casa Vieja Lodge. Nine teams managed to release 112 Sailfish and 4 Blue Marlin during 3 days of fishing. A grand total of 93 Sancochos, or missed bites, were accumulated for a donation of $1,860 to local primary schools in Puerto San Jose. Team Spindrift, of South Florida’s Neptune Impact Windows, matched that amount raising the grand total to $3,720.
The first day of fishing had the Finest Kind in the lead with 12 releases, Decisive with Team Bamboo in second place with 10 releases, and third place Intensity with 7 releases.
On the second day of fishing, team El Cadejo pulled into the lead releasing 7 sailfish and 2 blue marlins aboard the 35- ST Contender! The only all-family team consisted of Grandpa Vic, Son-in-law John, and grandson JB (10 years old).
After a night of Karaoking and fishing for Tilapia, a hard-fought battle on the third day was instore. Capt. Rick Murphy of Finest Kind grabbed a fly rod, after some coaching from Capt Salazar, and released the last sailfish of the day on the FLY which bumped their team to first place, a mere 5-point lead ahead of the second-place team! A fantastic win on the fly!
The 2017 No Sancocho Sailfish Shootout Results
- First Place: Finest Kind- Joe Neber, Rick Murphy, John Cooper, Juan Manuel Cobar
- Second Place: El Cadejo- Vic Wickman, John Mosher, JB Mosher
- Third Place: Intensity- Jimbo Thomas, Rick Thomas, Harry Vernon, Jim Jacobs
- Largest Dorado: Kathy Murphy, 48 inches
- Top Lady Angler: Kathy Murphy; won by time
- Sancocho King: Vick Wickman and John Mosher- 8 each