Conservation is Key
At Casa Vieja Lodge we are all about conservation! We strive to conserve our ocean for the future! We want to congratulate all of our clients, captains, and mates, who won awards at The Billfish Foundation Ceremony this past week. The Billfish Foundation is an amazing organization whose main focus is to conserve billfish worldwide! We could not be more proud of our winners! Many of our clients won these tagging and release awards after a single trip to Casa Vieja!
On February 13th, together with Capt. Harry’s Fishing Supply and Cummins Engines, we held an event that was all about Raising Bills for the Central American Billfish Association (CABA), a research initiative at the University of Miami Rosentiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, generating the science needed to promote billfish conservation in the region.
We were able to raise over $1,000 for CABA which plays an integral role in the future of billfish conservation and promoting billfish scientific research and even providing its findings to the Guatemalan Government!
We, (Billfish included), want to thank everyone who attended this event and made a donation for such an amazing cause! Same time, same place next year!
Catch Us in the Spotlight
The spotlight is back on! Casa Vieja Lodge has had a whirl whim of special appearances in multiple magazines, articles, and TV shows! Take a look below and make sure to check them out for yourself!
- BD Outdoors released a teaser HERE of Episode 4 of their new series Local Knowledge entitled “Five Star Sail” and their unique take on Casa Vieja Lodge. Don’t miss the opportunity to catch a glimpse of more than just the epic fishing in this episode! Local Knowledge airs THIS Sunday, February 28 on Destination America at 7am EST!
- Our Captain Chris Sheeder isn’t only amazing at fishing but he is also an extraordinary photographer. His photos were featured not only on one, but TWO magazine covers this month! His action filled photos appeared on the covers of Marlin Magazine as well as Blue Water Magazine! Another one of his photos was also featured in Marlin Magazine as one of their Hot Shots! Way to go Chris! Pick up your copy and have him autograph it on your next trip down!
- Casa Vieja Lodge also made appearances in Outdoor Canada and Florida Sportsman Magazine, click on each to read more!
Billfish are the Only Bites You Need to Worry About! Bye, Bye Bugs!
The media recently has made the Zika virus, a mosquito-born virus, common knowledge. With outbreaks in South, Central, and North America many US travelers have been weary about international travel. We need to also bear in mind that the southeastern United States also has its fair share of this virus and has the potential to worsen once the rain and humidity appear in the upcoming season.
Here at Casa Vieja Lodge we take this threat extremely serious and want to give all of our anglers the peace of mind during their stay in Guatemala. That is why we are proud to announce that we are the first and only lodge in Central America to install the Bug Beater™ Perimeter System which is an automatic misting system for around the clock mosquito and bug control. This system is set to be complete the first week of March.
In addition, the lodge will continue fogging both indoor and outdoor with the VectorFog™ ULV coldfogger with a pesticide that is both plant and animal friendly. Accompanying this is a backpack pulverzing pump fogger that applies a residual agent over all surfaces, killing the insect that lands on it. Lastly, UV lamps are strategellically placed around the lodge as an addtional support system. I don’t know about you but I feel safer at the lodge than my own home!
The waters have flattened and the fish have risen! After an abnormal rough couple of days from an overextended cold front we are ending February with strong double digit numbers! Sailfish, Marlin, and Tuna have all been in the spread. The end of the season is going to be here before you know it and dates are filling up quickly! Don’t hesitate to give us a call today 1-800-882-4665 and reserve your spot to experience this EPIC fishing season! Check out some of our incredible numbers below and don’t forget you can always check out our daily fishing reports on our website HERE.
- From February 12-15th, the Makaira (37’ Rybovich) with Capt. Jason Brice had 26 raises, 15 bites, and 8 sailfish releases! As well as 2 blue marlin raises, 1 blue marlin bite and 2 yellow fin tuna, all on the FLY!
- From February 12-19th, the Spindrift (38’ Stopler Express) with Cap. Nico Alvarenga, fished a total of 5 days and had 131 raises, 119 bites, and 76 sailfish releases! They also had 2 blue marlin raises, 2 blue marlin bites, 2 blue marlin releases and 4 tunas!
- From February 16-19th, the El Cadejo (35’ ST-Contender) with Capt. Caluco Alvarenga, had 141 raises, 128 bites, and 79 sailfish releases. Plus 2 blue marlin raises, 2 blue marlin bites and 10 tuna!
- From February 16-23rd, the Rum Line (40’ Gamefisherman), with Capt. Chris Sheeder had 276 raises, 242 bites, and 158 sailfish releases! They also had a whopping 15 yellow fin tuna!!
- From February 18-20th, the Afinity (39’ Billy Knowles) with Capt. Chico Alvarenga had 90 raises, 47 bites, and 20 sailfish releases! They also had 3 yellow fin tunas all on the FLY!
- From February 18-23rd, the Intensity (37’ Gamefisherman) with Capt. Mike Sheeder, had 239 raises, 218 bites, and 135 sailfish releases. They also had 3 blue marlin raises, bites, and releases!
- From February 18-23rd, the Finest Kind (40’ Whiticar) with Capt. David Salazar, had 174 raises, 154 bites, 85 sailfish releases, PLUS 2 tunas, 2 blue marlin raises, and 1 blue marlin bite!