Many anglers fear the long fight of the Pacific Sailfish, or the big blue marlin. Fear not amigos! Sailfish are the most acrobatic fish out there. They stay, live, travel, and fight, in the top half of the ocean waters where majority of their food is located as well as higher oxygen levels. That being said, they don’t dive down and fight hard like yellow fin tuna, they instead put on an acrobatic show. This show combined with both the captain’s talent and reliable Cummins Engines to “back down” on the fish will cut your reeling time to well under 20mins, depending on how nice you’ve been to your captain. Blue Marlin will definitely put up a stronger fight, but know that your captain and crew have your back, and will coach you to a release!
However, we know that after multiple hookups in this fishery, it can get exhausting for many people. Therefore, we have three options for you. First, book a boat with Blue Water Fighting Chair, 6/7 sport fish boats are equipped, less the Poco Loco that will get one next season! The mates will assist you in taking a seat and placing the rod in the holder on the chair until you get the hang of it.
Second, use an AFTCO Fighting belt. The mate will assist in placing the belt around your waist and you simply place the rod into the belt to help balance the fight.
Lastly, use a Cush-it. Affectionately know as the “butt” or “culito” this foam cushion goes on the butt of the rod, allowing you to comfortably place it on your torso, and return home bruise-free. Remember, this is your private charter. If you had your fill of fish and want to go in early to relax by the pool just let your captain know!
Huk Fishing Gear
This season Casa Vieja Lodge teamed up with Huk Gear with custom Huk Pursuit shirts. Huk is a relatively new company, but took the fishing world by storm a few years ago.
Exclusively available at La Tiendita at Casa Vieja Lodge are the custom Huk Pursuit Long sleeve crew shirts. Men’s sizes are available in all 9 boat designs as well as the CVL Palapa hut design available in women and children sizes.
The Huk Pursuit shirts are 30+ UPF, stain resistant, and made of
synthetic materials that allow air to pass through and transport sweat and water away from the skin and create superior breath-ability. Pick one up at La Tiendita on your next trip down, or have a friend bring one back for you!
Transport in Style
Always striving to make your experience the best, we’d like to present to you our brand new 2020 Mercedes Sprinter Van. Boasting bucket seats, an extended high-roof, Bluetooth connectivity, a built-in step stair, and an extremely happy Michael (possibly your favorite driver). We are proud to have 3 Mercedes Sprinters Vans to accommodate your group. At CVL, we own all of the boats, vans, and lodge so you always have peace of mind that we will do everything in our power to make your fishing vacation outstanding.
For those clients that have been spoiled with the Guatemalan fishery, these past two weeks have been “slow” with a range of 2-19 sailfish releases, per boat per day. Releasing 2-5 sailfish anywhere else in the world would be considered a great day, and still is to many anglers, except for a few that we’ve spoiled greatly over the years! We have been releasing more striped marlin, due to colder water in the area, so that is always a bonus!
Check out a few highlights below. Remember, you can always stay up to date with our daily fishing reports on our website HERE:
- January 23rd-February 4th, the Finest Kind (40’ Whiticar) with Capt. Nicho Alvarenga, had 143 raises, 133 bites, and 88 sailfish releases plus 7 marlin raises, 4 marlin bites, and 4 marlin releases (2 striped marlin).
- January 23rd-February 4th, the Rum Line (40′ Gamefisherman) with Capt. Terry Brennan, had 116 raises, 106 bites, and 73 sailfish releases plus 3 marlin raises, 3 marlin bites, 3 marlin releases (2 striped marlin), 1 jack, and 7 mahi-mahi.
- January 23rd-February 5th, the Makaira (37’ Rybovich) with Capt. Jason Brice, had 136 raises, 130 bites, and 89 sailfish releases plus 5 marlin raises, 5 marlin bites, 5 marlin releases (2 striped marlin), and 4 mahi-mahi.
- January 23rd-February 5th, the Release (37′ Merritt) with Capt. Chico Alvarenga, had 154 raises, 139 bites, and 102 sailfish releases plus 5 marlin raises, 5 marlin bites, 4 marlin releases (3 striped marlin), 1 tuna, and 9 mahi-mahi!
- January 23rd-February 5th, the Afinity (39′ Billy Knowles) with Capt. Nico Melendrez, had 183 raises, 161 bites, and 114 sailfish releases plus 4 marlin raises, 2 marlin bites, 2 tuna, and 5 mahi-mahi.
- January 23rd-February 5th, the Spindrift (38′ Stolper) with Capt. Efrain Rizzo, had 119 raises, 108 bites, 79 sailfish releases plus 5 marlin raises, 5 marlin bites, 2 marlin releases (2 striped marlin), and 6 mahi-mahi.
- January 26th-February 5th, the El Cadejo (35′ Contender) with Capt. Benji Bairez, had 107 raises, 88 bites, and 64 sailfish releases plus 1 marlin raise, 1 marlin bite, 1 marlin release, 1 tuna, and 6 mahi-mahi!
- January 31st-February 5th, the Poco Loco (44′ Kincheloe Nickerson) with Capt. David Salazar, had 49 raises, 44 bites, and 34 sailfish releases plus 1 marlin raise, 1 marlin bite, and mahi-mahi.
- February 3rd-5th, the Pez Raton (35′ Contender) with Capt. Franz Hoffman, had 18 raises, 12 bites, and 5 sailfish releases plus 1 tuna, 3 mahi-mahi, and 12 grouper.
- NOW Feb 5-8: Safari Club International, Reno Sparks Convention Center; Booth 779
- Feb 13-17: Miami International Boat Show, Miami Marine Stadium; Booth D-316
|Still have questions? CLICK HERE to receive more information…|
|Copyright © 2020 Casa Vieja Lodge, All rights reserved.|