2016 No Sancocho Sailfish Shootout Results
In most cases, we don’t like missing a fish but at our annual No Sancocho Sailfish Shootout, Guatemala’s most exciting & prestigious billfish tournament, we loved seeing the Sancochos ($20 per missed fish) continue to add up over the three-day tournament held November 10th-12th. The 10 boats & 41 anglers released 378 sailfish, 6 marlin, & 230 Sancochos! All the proceeds are being donated to Santa Cecilia Primary School in Puerto San Jose.
Casa Vieja Lodge would like to give a special thanks to the following people for their extra contributions.
- Team Cummins (Finest Kind) matched the 230 Sancochos, donating a total of $4,980
- Mr. Bob Smith, Team Intensity, Makaira, & Rum Line, matched the 78 Sancochos from the three boats, donating a total of $1,580.
- Mr. Jorge Sinabaldi (Tranquility) donated $2,000.
- Mr. Carey Chen (A-Fin-Ity) sold his live painting and donated his proceeds.
Third Place: Team Spindrift 600 points/ 55 Sailfish/ 1 Blue Marlin/ 13 Sancochos
Top Lady Angler: Poppy Brownlee- 15 Sailfish
Sancocho Queen: Tracey Kealy (Pez Raton) Las Viejas – 17 Sancochos
**To see more about the tournament & results click HERE **
The total donations from all the Sancochos & our amazing anglers amounted to $13,760! Casa Vieja Lodge is so proud to have anglers that truly are helping make a difference in the lives of the children from Santa Cecilia Primary School & we sincerely thank everyone who participated and donated.
While the anglers were out fighting billfish, some of our non-angler ladies went to Antigua’s Filadelfia Coffee Resort & Tours and zip lined through the beautiful mountains & perused through the markets in the streets of Antigua! They also, went repelling down a magnificent 130ft waterfall at Finca El Barretal,
Everyone involved went home with big smiles, warmer hearts, and a handful of new friends and stories!
Very BIG Thanks to all of our sponsors: Cummins, Costa Del Mar, YETI, VMC/Suffix, Capt Harry’s, Casa del Jade, The Billfish Foundation, Coca Cola, Gallo, Alcazaren, Marcas Mundiales, Agua Pura Salvavidas, and Vijusa.
Keeping Up With the Lodge
- Casa Vieja Lodge has been chosen as one of this years Editor’s Choice & Coastal Angler’s Staff Travel destinations for Coastal Angler Magazine. Check out CVL feature HERE on page 8!
- “There’s no better place in the world to fill your offshore bucket list”, said Capt. Rick Murphy, from Sportsman Adventures, after his trip to the lodge this month. He was accompanied by Miss Brie Gabrielle, Miss Florida 2016 & co-host for Chevy Florida Insider Report, and they caught an abundance of sailfish & marlin, along with yellowfin tuna’s up to 130lbs!
- Don’t forget that CVL is running the Single Angler Weekend from December 10th through the 14th. Now you can come alone, and share the expenses of the charter with other anglers. Give us a call at (800) 882-4665 to learn more about our first single anglers weekend at CVL!
- Our custom Casa Vieja Lodge YETI’s are officially available for sale on our Website HERE. We have a variety of options to choose from including our Rambler 30 oz. Tumbler with our custom script logo, our Rambler 20 oz. Tumbler, our Rambler 10 oz. Lowball, & our Rambler Colster, perfect to keep your beer or soda cold during your fight with the pacific sailfish!
- Still deciding what to do for Thanksgiving? How about fish all day and come back to an immaculate traditional Thanksgiving feast. No cooking, or cleaning required! Spots are limited so call us today at (800) 882-4665!
Fishing season is officially here & the Billfish are ready to Make Guatemala Great Again! Some people say they are fleeing to Canada, but we invite you come down to warm Guatemala instead and enjoy our peak season with an average of 15 sailfish raises per day/boat. Below are some of the highlights and you can always find our fishing report HERE,
- November 3rd-12th, the Finest Kind (40’ Whiticar) with Capt. David Salazar, had 203 raises, 159 bites, & 93 sailfish releases! Plus 7 blue marlin raises, 5 blue marlin bites, 4 blue marlin releases & 3 tuna!
- November 4th-12th, the Makaira (37’ Rybovich) with Capt. Jason Brice, had 179 raises, 164 bites, & 122 sailfish releases! Plus 8 blue marlin raises, 5 blue marlin bites, & 3 blue marlin releases!
- November 4th-6th, the Pez Raton (35’ ST Contender) with Capt. Franz Hoffman, had 73 raises, 61 bites, & 28 releases! They also had 1 blue marlin raise!
- November 9th-12th, the Spindrift (38’ Stolper) with Capt. Nicho Alvarenga, had 111 raises, 92 bites, & 68 sailfish releases. Plus 2 blue marlin raises, 1 blue marlin bite, & 1 blue marlin release!
- November 10th-12th, the Afinity (39’ Billy Knowles) with Capt. Chico Alvarenga, had 79 raises, 69 bites, & 49 sailfish releases! Plus 3 blue marlin raises & 2 blue marlin bites!
- November 10th-12th, the Intensity (37’ Gamefisherman) with Capt. Mike Sheeder, had 87 raises, 80 bites, & 62 sailfish releases! Plus 2 blue marlin raises, 2 blue marlin bites & 2 blue marlin releases!
- From November 10th-13th, the El Cadejo (35’ ST Contender) with Capt. Efrain Rizzo, had 69 raises, 66 Bites, & 42 releases!
- November 10th-13th, the Rum Line (40’ Gamefisherman) with Capt. Chris Sheeder, had 79 raises, 66 bites, & 46 releases! Plus 2 blue marlin raises, 2 blue marlin bites, 1 blue marlin release, & 1 Tuna!