In April the all-star team from Local Knowledge filmed the episode Dave’s House and had a blast catching loads of mahi, sailfish, and even visited the Casa Vieja Lodge Marine Services boatyard. In its third season, Local Knowledge explores the people, places, and species that make up the culture of fishing.
In Episode 4, Dave Salazar, owner of Casa Vieja Lodge, invites Ali and Rush down to his place for some relaxation and fishing. While enjoying great sailfish fishing, the guys learn about the vision and journey of how Dave built the lodge and marina into one of the best fishing destinations in the world. Click Here to watch the Full Episode of Dave’s House.
Episode 5, One Man’s Trash, debuting this Sunday, June 3rd at 8am on Discovery, Dave joins Ali and Rush for a good time fishing the Gulf of Mexico out of Key West. Click Here to watch the Preview of One Man’s Trash.
For a full hour of Sunday Morning Fishing shows, catch Local Knowledge at 8am, then Sportsman Adventures with Captain Rick Murphy at 8:30am all on the Discovery Channel! However, Guatemalan coffee will only be served to your room at Casa Vieja Lodge!
Solo Anglers Release 111 Sailfish
The Spring Edition of Single Angler’s was held May 16-20th, 2018 and six solo anglers took advantage of this bi-annual event at Casa Vieja Lodge. Solo anglers are always hesitant on arrival day as its similar to your first day of camp. Low and behold everyone was there for a common goal and that was to release a ton of sailfish. This common bond makes strangers become fishing buddies, and then friends.
Anglers were able to fish aboard the Finest Kind, Spindrift, Makaira, and El Cadejo giving them the opportunity to learn from different Captains and crews, experience different spreads, and of course be hands on the rod! In 3 days of fishing, the group was split on 2 boats daily and totaled 186 raises, 146 bites, 111 releases. On the final day of fishing, 3 blue marlin were released aboard the Makaira! Congrats Solo Anglers on the fantastic fishing!
We invite you to take part of the Fall Edition of Single Angler’s Week November 1-5th, 2018 which is the week before the 2018 No Sancocho Sailfish Shootout. The beauty of going solo is the price! For $2,930/angler you will fish with the best in the business for 3 full days of fishing, 4 nights lodging (including your own private room), VIP airport transportation, alcohol and meals, laundry service, and the finest tournament tackle. This rate is normally reserved for parties of 4 anglers!
In three weeks is the 2018 Father’s Day Fishing Frenzy and we only have our 35-ST Contender available! If you still are looking for plans to have fun with Dad, then trust us when we tell you this is what he really wants! Send Dad alone with the kids, and you’ll get a break, or join the family for some quality time on the water and always great fishing! Don’t believe us, check our Marlin Magazine Father’s Day Fishing Gift Guide!
These upcoming summer months are the perfect time to relax and take in the warmth and beauty around you. On top of your luxury fishing vacation at Casa Vieja, you won’t regret extending your stay to take a trip down to Lake Atitlan. Lake Atitlan is in the Guatemalan Highlands and is the product of a volcano eruption that happened more than 84,000 years ago. It is the deepest lake in Central America, surrounded by mountains, and at the base of extinct volcanoes
Stay at Casa Palopo, a beautiful boutique 15-room hotel, each with private terraces overlooking Lake Atitlan. The hotel is located in one of the 12 small towns that circle the lake which are dominated by traditional Mayan families. What makes the 12 towns unique is each one of them is best accessible by boat, speak different dialects, and have their own trade. Soak up the breathtaking views, the rich culture, and the warmth of the Mayans.
If you’ve been following our fishing reports, then you know May has been outstanding. The proof is in the numbers! In May we hosted 125 charters. The total, just for May, is 2,287 raises, 1,843 bites, and 1,138 sailfish releases, that’s 18 raises per day on average! To make May even sweeter is the mixed plate of species including Blue Marlin with 142 raises, 111 bites, and 55 marlin releases, 180 Yellowfin Tuna, and 502 Mahi Mahi! Join us in June to keep the catching going!
We would like to give THREE big shout outs! First, to the Segal group for breaking Guatemalan Record with seven Blue Marlin RELEASES in one day aboard the Finest Kind. Second, to the Edwards group for getting two GRAND SLAMS aboard the Release. And last but not least, to Michael and Craig for making their maiden voyage to Casa Vieja!
Below are just a few of our fishing highlights, check out our daily fishing reports HERE.
- May 4-27th, the Poco Loco (44′ Kincheloe Nickerson) with Capt. David Salazar, had 374 raises, 313 bites, and 197 sailfish releases. They also had 9 marlin raises, 8 marlin bites, 4 marlin release, 30 tuna, and 41 mahi-mahi.
- May 4-27th, the Finest Kind (40’ Whiticar) with Capt. Chris Sheeder, had 477 raises, 354 bites, and 180 sailfish releases. They also had 43 marlin raises, 32 marlin bites, 19 marlin releases, 10 tuna, and 56 mahi-mahi!
- May 4-27th, the Spindrift (38’ Stolper) with Capt. Nicho Alvarenga, had 453 raises, 402 bites, and 281 sailfish releases. They also had 7 marlin raises, 5 marlin bites, 2 marlin releases, 14 tuna, and 44 mahi-mahi
- May 4-28th, the Release (37′ Merritt) with Capt. Chico Alvarenga, had 334 raises, 279 bites, and 183 sailfish releases. They also had 23 marlin raises, 14 marlin bites, 9 marlin releases, 40 tuna, and 97 mahi-mahi.
- May 5-18th, the Pez Raton (35′ Contender) with Capt. Franz Hoffman, had 95 raises, 71 bites, and 33 sailfish releases. They also had 16 marlin raises, 15 marlin bites, 5 marlin releases, 26 tuna, 120 mahi-mahi, 12 grouper, 14 snapper, 5 jacks, AND 2 roosterfish!
- May 14-30th, fishing a total of 10 days, the El Cadejo (35′ Contender) with Capt. Efron Rizzo, had 126 raises, 104 bites, and 67 sailfish releases. They also had 8 marlin raises, 5 marlin bites, 1 marlin release, 29 tuna, and 46 mahi-mahi!
- May 17-27th, the Makaira (37’ Rybovich) with Capt. Jason Brice, had 180 raises, 134 bites, and 90 sailfish releases. They also had 12 marlin raises, 12 marlin bites, 8 marlin releases, and 25 mahi-mahi.