We do, Ballyhoo
While out on the water many of you have seen our artillery of ballyhoo neatly aligned and loaded to the brim of the YETI but do you really know where that bait comes from?
At Casa Vieja Lodge we don’t have the luxury to call Baitmasters and get a few thousand quality baits delivered when the bite is on. For us, harvesting begins once the first rain arrives. “Last season we used about 55,500 ballyhoo. If we ain’t got ballyhoo, then we ain’t fishing.” said Capt. David Salazar.
Kristen Salazar went on to explain, “Just like our beautiful boats, luxury accommodations, and gourmet dining, the perfect ballyhoo is part of the 5-Star Angling Experience we offer here at Casa Vieja Lodge, which makes the difference between fishing and catching!”
Read more about this process and see photos HERE on BD Outdoors.
This season at Casa Vieja Lodge you will join us in our effort to #KickPlastic as we have eliminated all single-use plastic water bottles preventing 80,000 bottles from entering our environment!
Upon arrival at the Lodge, you will receive a complimentary 18oz YETI Rambler that will be your lifeline to water consumption both at the Lodge and aboard the boats. We suggest you upgrade your Rambler top for $10 with either a Chug Cap, or a Straw Cap to keep yourself hydrated and ultimately for continued use in your own backyard!
The Lodge installed two Elkay Water Fountain and Bottle Filling Stations where water goes through a 4-stage filtration system, including a UV purification process and the solution to pure, clean drinking water. Aboard the sportfish boats you can refill your same rambler from the YETI Silo, a 6-gallon water cooler that keeps water cold for hours. The 35′ Contenders are equipped with multiple YETI 1-gallon jugs for quick refills.
Who likes to Party, Party
Thanksgiving at Casa Vieja Lodge boasted an enormous feast that guests thankfully didn’t have to lift a finger for! Their job was to catch billfish all day, and that they happily did. The Jinks, Nami, and Gaddy families collectively had 101 sailfish raises, 87 sailfish bites, 55 sailfish releases, 18 marlin raises, 13 marlin bites, 6 marlin releases, 38 mahi-mahi, AND 46 tuna during their Thanksgiving trips!
Thanksgiving, birthdays, anniversaries, New Years Eve, Easter, if it normally requires cooking/cleaning, and having a fantastic time, then increase your play time and leave the work to us! Casa Vieja Lodge will gladly make any holiday a family favorite!
Below is our holiday & special event availability:
- Winter Break: December 18-22: Poco Loco (44′ Kincheloe Nickerson), Release (37′ Merritt), Pez Raton (35′ Contender)
- New Year’s Eve:
- December 31 & January 1: Rum Line (40′ Whiticar)
- December 31-January 2: Afinity (39′ Billy Knowles)
- Valentines day: February 12-13-14: Intensity (37′ Gamefisherman)
- Easter: April 19-23: Poco Loco (44′ Kincheloe Nickerson), Finest Kind (40′ Whiticar),El Cadejo (35′ Contender)
- Mothers Day: May 11-13: Rum Line (40′ Gamefisherman), Makaira (37′ Rybovich),El Cadejo (35′ Contender)
- Memorial Day: May 24-27: Rum Line (40′ Gamefisherman), Pez Raton (35′ Contender)
- Solo Anglers Week: May 29-June 2 (fishing May 30-31-June 1): ONLY 4 spots left!
- Father’s Day Tournament: June 14-15-16: Afinity (39′ Billy Knowles), Makaira (37′ Rybovich), El Cadejo (35′ Contender)
November has been a fantastic month of fishing. A cold front blew though during 2018 ILLTA Tournament which caused a day of very choppy waters, but the sea settled back down thereafter. The man in the blue suit stayed throughout the month and came out dancing just about every other day, with a few friends.
See below for a few November highlights:
- November 8th-10th & 26th, the Pez Raton (35′ Contender) with Capt. Franz Hoffman, had 81 raises, 66 bites, and 37 sailfish releases plus 1 marlin raise, 11 mahi-mahi, and 4 grouper.
- November 10th-28th, the Release (37′ Merritt) with Capt. Chico Alvarenga, had 434 raises, 374 bites, and 258 sailfish releases plus 32 marlin raises, 17 marlin bites, 8 marlin releases, 48 tuna, and 73 mahi-mahi!
- November 10th-28th, the Finest Kind (40’ Whiticar) with Capt. Nicho Alvarenga, had 360 raises, 323 bites, and 212 sailfish releases plus 16 marlin raises, 12 marlin bites, 4 marlin releases, 30 tuna, and 47 mahi-mahi.
- November 10th-28th, the Rum Line (40′ Gamefisherman) with Capt. Chris Sheeder, had 384 raises, 338 bites, and 229 sailfish releases plus 24 marlin raises, 13 marlin bites, 7 marlin releases, 7 tuna and 56 mahi-mahi.
- November 10th-28th, the Spindrift (38’ Stolper) with Capt. Efrain Rizzo, had 152 raises, 89 bites, and 73 sailfish releases plus 6 marlin raises, 2 marlin bites, 1 marlin release, 3 tuna, and 15 mahi-mahi.
- November 10th-28th, the Intensity (37′ Gamefisherman) with Capt. Mike Sheeder, had 137 raises, 112 bites, and 81 sailfish releases plus 8 marlin raises, 6 marlin bites, 5 marlin releases, 5 tuna, and 18 mahi-mahi.
- November 10th-28th, the Afinity (39′ Billy Knowles) with Capt. Nico Melendrez, had 195 raises, 161 bites, and 101 sailfish releases plus 7 marlin raises, 4 marlin bites, 2 marlin releases, 2 tuna, and 11 mahi-mahi.
- November 12th-20th the Poco Loco (44′ Kincheloe Nickerson) with Capt. David Salazar/Capt. Terry Brennan, had 159 raises, 145 bites, and 94 sailfish releases plus 5 marlin raises, 2 marlin bites, 1 marlin release, 1 tuna, and 14 mahi-mahi.
- November 24th-27th, the El Cadejo (35′ Contender) with Capt. Benji Bairez, had 54 raises, 28 bites, and 18 sailfish releases plus 5 marlin raises, 3 marlin bites, and 5 mahi-mahi!
- November 26th-28th, the Makaira (37’ Rybovich) with Capt. Jason Brice, had 50 raises, 26 bites, and 12 sailfish releases plus 3 marlin raises, 2 marlin bites, 1 marlin release, and 3 tuna.
You can find our DAILY fishing reports on our website HERE. Enjoy!
- January 10-11-12: Poco Loco (44′ Kincheloe Nickerson) & Release (37′ Merritt)
- January 28-February 1: Afinity (39′ Billy Knowles)
- February 21-22-23: Poco Loco (44′ Kincheloe Nickerson)
- March 3-4-5: Afinity (39′ Billy Knowles)
- April 5-6-7: Poco Loco (44′ Kincheloe Nickerson) & Makaira (37′ Rybovich)