If you are still experiencing cold weather come April, then warm and sunny Guatemala is your remedy to your winter blues. With
Another glorious opportunity to experience Guatemala is Easter Week in Antigua. Easter Week, (know as Semana Santa in Spanish), in Antigua is the largest Easter celebration outside of Seville, Spain. Daily and nightly processions occur throughout the cobblestone streets of Antigua, and the city is decorated with flowers and drapery. In front of select hotels and churches are traditional, large “carpets” made of sawdust and flowers which are artistically crafted street side. Hotel reservations for the Camino Real Antigua
If you are fishing summer billfish tournaments starting in May, then we highly suggest you start Spring Training by warming up your fishing game and step up to bat in Guatemala. Don’t let the first time you step on the boat for tournament fishing, be with thousands of dollars at stake. Be smart, prepared, and get your practice in Guatemala with the most shots at billfish than you’ll probably even experience throughout your tournament stateside!
25 Years with Sportsman Adventures
Captain Rick Murphy was down at Casa Vieja Lodge last week, his 4th time this season! This time was special as he filmed a Sportsman Adventures Episode for his 25th Anniversary Season of his highly successful show with Kristen Salazar, owner, and wife of Capt. David Salazar. Fishing aboard the Makaira, a 37′ Rybovich repowered with Cummins Engines, Capt. Rick and Kristen released multiple doubles, triples, and even a quad! Previously Teammates from the 2018 No Sancocho Sailfish Shootout they continued their billfish dance and Kristen filled Rick in on a little secret…
“Women love fishing with Casa Vieja Lodge. Out on the water there are so many opportunities to learn and make mistakes while fishing, and the Captains and crews are perfectly okay with that. Then, when you are back at the lodge you can still be pampered and have all the details and comforts of home, less the cooking and cleaning!”
Watch Sportsman Adventures weekly and follow them on social media, and stay tuned for the debut of the Casa Vieja Lodge episode in May.
Tuesdays at 6pm
Saturdays 7am and 11:30pm
Sundays at 7:30pm
For us as Casa Vieja Lodge, January has simply flown by, and the sunny days, warm weather, and consistent daily double digit releases by angler’s themselves has been great to both see and hear!
If you can’t make it down the CVL this month, visit us on the road at the shows below and we’ll bring you up to speed of the happenings down at the lodge. We appreciate seeing all of our current and past anglers on the road, and especially when they tell us how much they love these newsletters!
Check out the impressive numbers below:
- January 13th– February 6th, the Poco Loco (44′ Kincheloe Nickerson) with Capt. David Salazar/Capt. Terry Brennan, had 322 raises, 301 bites, and 214 sailfish releases plus 4 marlin raises, 3 marlin bites, 1 marlin release, 9 tuna, and 17 mahi-mahi.
- January 13th– February 6th, the Afinity (39′ Billy Knowles) with Capt. Nico Melendrez, had 374 raises, 327 bites, and 236 sailfish releases plus 4 marlin raises, 1 marlin bite, 1 marlin release, 13 tuna, and 18 mahi-mahi.
- January 14th-February 6th, the Spindrift (38’ Stolper) with Capt. Efrain Rizzo, had 352 raises, 277 bites, and 187 sailfish releases plus 1 marlin raise, 1 marlin bite, 1 marlin release, 23 tuna, and 12 mahi-mahi.
- January 14th– February 6th, the Release (37′ Merritt) with Capt. Chico Alvarenga, had 437 raises, 397 bites, and 286 sailfish releases plus 3 marlin raises, 1 marlin bite, 1 marlin release, 5 tuna, and 18 mahi-mahi!
- January 14th– February 6th, the Makaira (37’ Rybovich) with Capt. Jason Brice, had 394 raises, 355 bites, and 251 sailfish releases plus 1 marlin raise, 3 tuna, and 12 mahi-mahi.
- January 15th– February 5th, the Intensity (37′ Gamefisherman) with Capt. Mike Sheeder, had 369 raises, 300 bites, and 186 sailfish releases plus 4 marlin raises, 2 marlin bites, 1 marlin release, 1 tuna, and 4 mahi-mahi.
- January 17th– February 6th,the Finest Kind (40’ Whiticar) with Capt. Nicho Alvarenga, had 469 raises, 409 bites, and 280 sailfish releases plus 9 marlin raises, 4 marlin bites, 2 marlin releases, 16 tuna, and 15 mahi-mahi.
- January 19th– February 6th, the El Cadejo (35′ Contender) with Capt. Benji Bairez, had 195 raises, 154 bites, and 104 sailfish releases plus 1 marlin raise, 1 marlin bite, 1 marlin release, 2 tuna, and 10 mahi-mahi.
- January 22nd– February 6th, the Pez Raton (35′ Contender) with Capt. Franz Hoffman, had 154 raises, 129 bites, and 68 sailfish releases plus 1 marlin raise, 1 marlin bite, and 1 marlin release!
- January 30th– February 6th, the Rum Line (40′ Gamefisherman) with Capt. Chris Sheeder, had 161 raises, 141 bites, and 85 sailfish releases plus 3 marlin raises, and tuna.
The numbers above are a combination of conventional and fly fishing. You can find our DAILY fishing reports on our website HERE. Enjoy!
Last Minute Openings, call NOW to reserve:
(305) 854-4665 / Kirsten@CasaViejaLodge.com
- February 28-March 1-2: El Cadejo (35′ Contender)
- March 20-21-22: Poco Loco (44′ Kincheloe Nickerson)
- April 1-2-3-4: Makaira (37′ Rybovich)
- April 13-14-15: Release (37′ Merritt)
- April 15-16-17: Rum Line (40′ Gamefisherman)
CATCH US ON THE ROAD
Feb 2-10:Great American Outdoor Show– Booth 3006
Feb 14-18: Miami International Boat Show– Booth D-316
March 22-23: London Fly Fishing Fair– Booth 75
April 26-28: NRA Annual Convention– Booth 5270