2019 Annual Billfish Report
The numbers were tallied for 2019, and it seems like our anglers have improved over the year with a much better release rate. In 2019, we had a total of 20,049 raises, 18,339 bites, and 12,215 billfish releases. Included in that total were:
In 2019, we averaged 17 raises, 14 bites, and 9 sailfish releases per day, per boat, taking only the month of September off.
A BIG thank you to our captains, crew, staff, and our anglers for making this fishery what it is! We couldn’t do it without you. And thank you for supporting and trusting us as we continue to Kick Plastic and reduce our impact on this environment we rely so heavily on. We eliminated 65,000 single-use plastic water bottles and still going strong!
Get in on the 2020 action and vow to fish more this year. The season has been off to a great start and is looking to be the best since 2014. When the season starts hot, it ends even stronger. Be apart of our 2020 Billfish Report!
Below are last minute openings, if any of them speak to you, click them, to send a direct email inquiry (they wont last long!):
- January 13-16: Afinity (39′ Billy Knowles)
- January 27-29: Pez Raton (35′ Contender)
- February 9-11: Poco Loco (44′ Kincheloe Nickerson)
- February 18 & 19: Finest Kind (40′ Whiticar)
- February 22 & 23: Rum Line (40′ Gamefisherman)
- March 17-21: Pez Raton (35′ Contender)
- March 30- April 2: El Cadejo (35′ Contender)
If you have ever been to Casa Vieja Lodge then you know the views along the highway are impressive. If you have ever opted for the helicopter transfer from the airport to the Lodge, you know the views from above are far superior and more importantly, that taking a helicopter will get you poolside with an adult beverage in hand much faster.
Previously, the helicopter landed approximately 10 minutes away from the Lodge. Due to popular demand, and new this season, is a helicopter landing pad in our very own backyard!
This also means, that any day tours you are interested in taking, just got a whole lot more adventurous. You can choose to depart directly from the lodge for a helicopter tour of the Pacific Coast, Volcanoes, and Antigua, or day trip to explore Lake Atitlan. Please let us know how we can help enhance your time spent in Guatemala.
Catch us on the Road
If you are stateside this winter then come out and join us on the road. We love seeing new and old, well familiar faces, and let’s talk fishing! We’ll have our Yeti Silo 6G to refill your reusable water bottle, and our heart will absolutely melt if its your CVL Rambler you got at the Lodge.
Catch us on the road & help us #KickPlastic:
- STARTS TODAY Jan 9-12: Dallas Safari Club, Kay Bailey Hutchinson Convention Center; Booth 551
- Jan 22-26: New York International Boat Show, Javits Center; Booth 1519
- Feb 5-8: Safari Club International, Reno Sparks Convention Center; Booth 779
- Feb 13-17: Miami International Boat Show, Miami Marine Stadium; Booth D-316
You made it through the holidays! Now it’s time for that relaxing vacation you deserve. Sunshine, cocktails, left-rigger, right-rigger, FISH ON!
The snowbirds have been migrating down to sunny Guatemala but we still have some slim pickings you need to jump on. This winter, we’ll be your light at the end of the tunnel and be your happy place, just give us a call, email, or web chat with us to reserve your dates.
Stay up to date with our daily fishing reports on our website HERE. Below are a few highlights:
- December 21st-23rd, the Poco Loco (44′ Kincheloe Nickerson) with Capt. David Salazar, had 53 raises, 49 bites, and 32 sailfish releases plus 1 marlin raise and 3 mahi-mahi.
- December 27th-29th, the Afinity (39′ Billy Knowles) with Capt. Nico Melendrez, had 63 raises, 58 bites, and 41 sailfish releases plus 2 marlin raises, 2 marlin bites, 2 marlin releases, and 6 mahi-mahi.
- December 28th-29th, the Pez Raton (35′ Contender) with Capt. Franz Hoffman, had 12 raises, 11 bites, and 7 sailfish releases plus tuna & 1 roosterfish bite.
- December 29th-January 2th, the Makaira (37’ Rybovich) with Capt. Jason Brice, had 40 raises, 34 bites, and 26 sailfish releases plus 3 marlin raises, 3 marlin bites, and 2 mahi-mahi.
- January 1st-4th, the Spindrift (38′ Stolper) with Capt. Efrain Rizzo, had 41 raises, 37 bites, 30 sailfish releases plus 1 marlin raise, 1 marlin bite, 1 marlin release, 2 tuna, and 3 mahi-mahi.
- January 1st-8th, the Release (37′ Merritt) with Capt. Chico Alvarenga, had 80 raises, 66 bites, and 45 sailfish releases plus 3 marlin raises, 3 marlin bites, 1 marlin release, 5 tuna, and 3 mahi-mahi!
- January 1st-8th, the El Cadejo (35′ Contender) with Capt. Benji Bairez, had 66 raises, 57 bites, and 44 sailfish releases plus 1 marlin raise and 2 mahi-mahi!
- January 2nd-6th, the Finest Kind (40’ Whiticar) with Capt. Nicho Alvarenga, had 87 raises, 77 bites, and 55 sailfish releases plus mahi-mahi and 4 tuna
- January 3rd-8th, the Rum Line (40′ Gamefisherman) with Capt. Terry Brennan, had 35 raises, 31 bites, and 24 sailfish releases plus 3 tuna and 5 mahi-mahi.
*These numbers are a combination of conventional and fly fishing.
|Still have questions? CLICK HERE to receive more information…|