Big Welcome to The Hooker
Casa Vieja Lodge is proud to welcome a Hooker to the family. The Hooker, a 48’ G&S boat, with 87 IGFA World Records most of them on billfish on light and ultralight tackle. She’s fished in 20+ countries, and is based in Marina Pez Vela, in Quepos, Costa Rica.
Captain David and Kristen Salazar, owners of Casa Vieja Lodge acquired this legend from Capt. Skip Smith who brought The Hooker back to life in 2016, and originally ran it back in 1989- as she was the tender to the famous Madam, the 110’ mothership. The Salazar’s now have the largest custom boat charter fleet.
“The history of this boat is unmatched. It’s an honor that Capt. Skip chose us to continue her legacy, and this is the only Hooker we’ll allow in the Casa Vieja Lodge Family!” said Capt. David Salazar.
The Hooker will provide Casa Vieja Lodge clients the opportunity to fish and stay aboard in comfort while fishing the Super Bowl of blue marlin sea mount fishing this summer out of Quepos. Capt. Skip Smith will be at the helm of a few special VIP charters trying to match or beat his record of 21 blues released on 30lb in a calm, single day.
Her engine room boasts big, beautiful, quiet, hand-painted pink Cummins QSM 11 Engines. She’ll put on a show in Guatemala for a few months and will be back in Quepos for some epic blue marlin fishing where she’ll call home and establish the Casa Vieja Lodge Costa Rica fleet.
New CDC Travel Policy
As always, we’re committed to keeping you fishing and making it a smooth, safe, and easy process. Which is why once again we’re adapting our policies to cohere with new CDC Guidelines. Please take a moment to review below as travel restrictions for re-entry into the USA have changed.
Traveling to Guatemala
- Be ready, willing/wanting to travel internationally.
- Book your dates with us and your air travel.
- Take a COVID-19 Test within 96 hours of arrival in Guatemala. Option for us to mail you a test kit, inquire with Miami Office
- Once you have your results, complete the Health Pass online and print/screenshot.
- Day of Travel: Bring 1) copy of your Negative COVID-19 test results, and 2) printout/screenshot of your completed Health Pass
- We’ll pick you up as usual.
We practice social distancing in the van ride, but if you’d like to upgrade to a private transfer just let our Miami Office know.
As of January 26, 2021 the CDC requests ALL air passengers to present a Negative COVID-19 test result upon entering the USA, 72 hours prior to arrival. We will have this test available for you at the Lodge for your safe departure home.
- Take COVID-19 test at Casa Vieja Lodge or supply documentation that you have recovered from COVID-19. See HERE for more info.
- Your Negative test results- will allow you re-entry into the USA.
- A Positive test result: two scenarios
Scenario 1: Re-test for false-positive and/or confirmation
Scenario 2: You will be quarantined in your room for two weeks (we’ll provide room & board), or until you test negative. Unfortunately, you will not be able to go fishing! We will take care of you and provide you with what you need to help you return home quickly.
Remembering a Legend
It’s with heavy hearts that we share on January 6, 2021, we lost a great Captain and admirable friend due to Pancreatic cancer. Capt. Chris Sheeder, 48, fulfilled fishing dreams in his heaven sent career and loved making you all smile with a big fish-on. He’s survived by his parents, SUPERWOMAN of a wife Elisa Sheeder, and his brother, Mike Sheeder, who both always made sure he could continue to fish until the very end. Right Rigger!
Capt. Chris began fishing at a very early age, and eventually the seas took him to Guatemala in 2001, under the guidance of Tim Choate at the historic Fins’ and Feathers Inn. During his 18 years, he has been at the helm of the Intensity, Magic, Cañaso, Nany, Peligan, Finest Kind, and Rum Line guiding thousands of anglers to successfully landing billfish on the fly, conventional, spinning, and even on a banana! Sheeder has released more than 35,000 billfish in his career, a vast majority here in Guatemala, with 8,000 of them on the fly!
Let’s be happy in remembering your first sailfish or marlin release, or even one on FLY with Capt. Chris, or countless others, as those are the memories you will cherish forever from the Captain that fulfilled your dreams!
The fishing has been consistent and plentiful. The anglers have been spoiled constantly releasing double digits, with some tuna and mahi mahi for lunch.
Check out a few fishing highlights below. Remember, you can always stay up to date with our daily fishing reports on our website HERE:
- January 1st-10th, the Rum Line (40′ Gamefisherman) with Capt. Terry Brennan had 229 raises, 210 bites, 142 sailfish releases plus 2 marlin raises, 2 marlin bites, and 6 mahi-mahi!
- January 2nd-10th, the Makaira (37′ Rybovich) with Capt. Jason Brice had 223 raises, 221 bites, and 144 sailfish releases plus 2 marlin raises, 1 marlin bite, 1 marlin release, 2 tuna, and 4 mahi-mahi.
- January 4th-6th & 18th-20th, the Afinity (39′ Billy Knowles)with Capt. Nico Melendrez, had 233 raises, 206 bites, 158 sailfish releases plus 2 marlin raises and 3 mahi-mahi.
- January 5th-10th, the Release (37′ Merritt) with Capt. Eddie Bairez, had 108 raises, 98 bites, 76 sailfish releases, plus 3 tuna!
- January 7th-16th, fishing 6 days, the Pez Raton (35′ Contender), with Capt. Benji Baires, had 173 raises, 144 bites, and 89 sailfish releases plus mahi-mahi!
- January 9th-12th, the Finest Kind (40′ Whiticar)with Capt. Nicho Alvarenga had 162 raises, 151 bites, 111 sailfish releases plus 1 marlin release and mahi-mahi!
- Fishing January 15th, 19th & 20th, The Hooker (48′ G&S)with Capt. David Salazar, had 166 raises, 156 bites, 104 sailfish releases plus 1 marlin raise, 1 marlin bite, and 3 mahi-mahi.
- On January 18th, the Spindrift (38′ Stolper) with Capt. Franz Hoffman, had 24 raises, 19 bites, and 11 sailfish releases.
When you’re ready, give us a call.