2015 No Sancocho Sailfish Shootout Results
Guatemala’s most exciting and prestigious billfish tournament, The 2015 No Sancocho Shootout was held April 16-18 at Casa Vieja Lodge and in 3 days- 7 boats released 217 sailfish, 1 striped marlin, and (drumroll please!) 222 SANCOCHOS for a total of $4,440 ($20/per sancocho).Prior to the tournament, Cummins Engines announced they would match the dollar amount of total sancochos. “One of Cummins’ main priorities is to invest in the communities in which we live and work. It’s a big part of who we are and what we do,” said Dave Crompton, President of Cummins Engines Business Unit.Team Club Nautico de Guatemala matched their own personal sancochos which brought the total amount raised to an amazing $10,000! The funds raised will go directly to support our local primary school, Santa Cecilia, where many of the Casa Vieja staff send their children. Stay tuned for updates on these absolutely critical and immediate improvements, starting with running water and new classroom desks so you can see the direct impact of your sancochos!
The 2015 No Sancocho Sailfish Shootout Results
- First Place: Team Decisive 625pts/ 45 Sailfish/ 21 sancochos
- Second Place: Team Pelagic Gear (A-Fin-Ity) 430pts/ 43 sailfish/ 28 sancochos
- Third Place: Team Rum Line, 365pts/ 28 Sailfish/1 striped marlin/ 41 sancochos
- Biggest Dorado: David Coto (Rum Line)
- Tournament Game Ball: Dave Crompton (Finest Kind)
- Top Lady Angler: Poppy Brownlee (Makaira)- 10 sailfish
- Most Sancochos: David Coto (Rum Line)- 16 missed sailfish
- Team Cummins Engines (Finest Kind)
- Team Cummins Marine (Spindrift)
- Team Decisive
- Team Guatemala Club Nautico (Off the Hook)
- Team Pelagic Gear (A-Fin-Ity)
- Team Rum Line
- Team Saltwater Sportsman (Makaira)
With daily water balloon fights and dock parties, evening activities like Casino and Karaoke Night, and daily wives’ activities like a visit to the historic city of Antigua, a hike up the active Pacaya Volcano, and a relaxing day at La Reunion Spa, everyone involved went home with big smiles, warmer hearts, and a handful of new friends and stories!Thank you to all of our Anglers for taking a gamble on their fishing talents and especially to our 2015 No Sancocho Sailfish Shootout Sponsors: Cummins Engines, Costa del Mar Sunglasses, Pelagic Gear, Casa del Jade, Zacapa Rum, The Billfish Foundation, and Visit Guatemala (INGUAT).
TODAY: Chevy Florida Insider Fishing Report
TODAY, April 22 at 5pm EST, and again at 10pm EST, tune to Fox Sports/Sun Sports to catch the Chevy Florida Insider Fishing Report and their target species, the Sailfish, or catch their show on their YouTube channel.Your beautiful Casa Vieja Lodge will be featured on this episode and watch Captain Rick Murphy and Captain David Salazar reel in a fiesty Blue Marlin that gets into a smack down with the 35′ Contender boat, El Cadejo. See Captain Harry Vernon of Captain Harry’s Fishing Supply showcase must-have new products that every fisherman needs. Leave us a comment on our Facebook page, and let you us know what you think of the episode!
Videos.. You Like Us!
THANK YOU to our all our Facebook friends for helping us reach a new milestone on April 4th- 30,000 LIKES!! CLICK HERE for a quick Video on behalf of some of your favorites down in Guatemala. Catch us on Facebook and get the latest pictures, videos, news, and all things Casa Vieja!Speaking of great videos, CLICK HERE for an epic video by Todd Wilkinson and Neal Bonner of their experience at Casa Vieja Lodge. The solo teenage duo released 63 sails in just 4 days aboard the Rum Line, Makaira, and on the new 35’ Contender El Cadejo.
IMPORTANT: Remember prices will be increasing on June 1st. Make sure you lock in the 2015 rates by booking your trip and making your deposit before May 31st. Call us at 1-800-882-4665 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Costa/TBF Release Report Challenge
On April 18, Casa Vieja Lodge was please to present the Grand Prize to the Winner of theCosta del Mar/TBF Release Report Challenge. Team Kimbuktu of the 2015 Quest for the Crest Series was awarded with the fishing trip of a lifetime: a 4 night/3 day billfishing adventure for four to Casa Vieja Lodge! We are proud to support billfish conservation and can’t wait to have Team Kimbuktu at Casa Vieja Lodge in beautiful Guatemala.Want to know how to be a pro and release more billfish? Check out the tips and trickssection of the The Billfish Foundation website, there you can find some hints from Captain Chris Sheeder of the Rum Line about what to do when you have multiple hook-ups and some useful tips for tagging billfish.
April has been showing upbeat signs of Springtime marine life with spawning sailfish and a lot of mahi-mahi coming back into the mix. Days here have been consistent fishing on calm waters. Here are some fantastic highlights:
- On April 12th, Captain Chico, of the A-Fin-ity, had 59 raises, 51 bites, and 37 releases!
- On April 12th, Captain Nicho of the Spindrift had 63 raises, 61 bites, and 38 releases!
- On April 13th, Captain David of the Finest Kind had 35 raises, 28 bites, and 16 releases, 1 on the Fly Rod!
- On April 13th, Captain Mike of the Intensity had 30 raises, 27 bites, 12 releases, and raised a blue marlin!
- On April 16th, Captain Chris of the Rum Line had 63 raises, 49 bites, and 22 releases!
- Yesterday: On April 21st, Captain Jason of the Makaira had 32 raises, 28 bites, and 15 releases!
“Our April showers are merely our Captains backing down too hard!”